Monday, April 7, 2008

Medical School?

What I am thinking about right now is….

Graduate School!!

Or more specifically, how I am going to pay for it.
I am finding out that there is a misconception that college students have a lot of money. Or have access to a lot of money. The test to get into Graduate school itself (GREs) is $140 and the test to get into Medical school (MCATs) is $210.
The first thing I have to do is decide whether I want to become a Neuroscientist (PhD) or a Psychiatrist (MD) or whether its really worth paying $25k/year to become either of those. After doing salary comparisons and seeing that a job that pays $72k/year really only pays $49k/year after taxes or that a job that pays $170k/year really only pays $113k/year it makes me really second guess things and makes my decision even more difficult (it doesn't make my decision to NOT work in Oregon very difficult however). Altho, I must say that the $113 sounds much much better than the $49. The $49 would not be worth it in any way shape or form.
Does that make my decision for me?
Should it be all about the money?
Or what I want to do?
The neuroscience program does sound very interesting, especially since my dream since childhood has been to be a medical researcher… but I could be a medical researcher with the other program too, it will just be more difficult. There is a reason it pays more… now the question would really be: Can I get into Med school? I think I can, but I had better start studying. Those MCATs do not look easy!

No comments: