Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Kauai, An overview

I cannot even start to describe how wonderful it was on that little 552 square mile island better known as Kauai.
I was able to relax and soak in the island atmosphere.
I was mistaken as a local on many occasions which made me feel much at home, and like I actually fit into the culture.

We got there on Sunday evening and since I didnt know whether or not we were even going to make it there on that day I decided to not book the hotel until I arrived. Like I do in every other city that I go to I like to drive around and find my hotel by location, not just off the internet. This works generally well being that there is generally a selection of hotels to choose from. Kauai, however, is different. When I was told that I was going to experience a taste of true island life I really didnt know what to expect. I did not see one building on this island that was higher than 3 stories, and the hotels were actually few and far between. After an exhausting search, we ended up staying near the airport (which is actually near everything since the island is so small) at a quaint little, locally owned hotel. It was very cute and I was able to get a very good rate from the owner due to the fact that it was almost closing time (and I tend to get what I want when I smile a little.... hehe).


One thing I discovered very quickly was the fact that when people say that there is a little chicken problem* there they are vastly under exaggerating the issue. I was awaken at 5am by the cawing of roosters each. and. every. day. This did allow me to see the sunrise on the beach on each of those occasions but as all of you know, I am NOT a morning person which made me quite bitter towards those damn chickens, er, roosters to be more precise.
I did everything that I wanted to on this trip, I explored the jungles, hiked the canyons, laid on the beach, mingled with locals, tasted fresh, local pineapple (and has thus been ruined when it comes to eating it in the future), found a new love of snorkeling, and basked in the local Hawaiian culture.
The weather was wonderful there, 80's and sunny almost the whole time, on the whole island.

I have a couple of pictures to share (from my cell phone), my actual pictures of the trip are posted on my myspace if you would like to see them...


*They say these chickens are roaming free due to the fact that during a hurricane a chicken farm was destroyed and this is now the result... well I say start laying traps! Its one thing if they were indigenous to the area but they are not! A few chickens, ok. The amount they have is really quite disgusting.

No comments: