Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Valentines - A rundown

Valentines Day.
When you are single, this day seems to inevitably make you feel inadequate and alone. But when you are with someone, it is a day that makes you feel special. It is a day to look forward to with excitement. This year was one of the first years in a long time that I actually was one of the ones who got to have this excitement.

Here is a rundown of my night:
4:00 pm: Leave work and run to the mall for last minute pick up
4:45 pm: Loose car (again!) in mall parking lot
5:15 pm: Arrive home and proceed to get ready for an anticipated departure time of 6:15pm.
5:30 pm: Find out that he wants to pick me up and that he will be there at 7.
5:31 pm: He then decides to make it 6:45 to counter any tardiness that I may be incurring.
6:00 pm: Ready (whew!)
6:45 pm: Find out that he is not going to be there until 7. Hmm.
6:50 pm: Find out that my mom is on her way and will also be there at 7. Double Hmm.
6:59 pm: Open the door to run down and get E and find B walking up the stairs with a beautiful bouquet of red roses and lilies in his hands (aww).
6:59 pm: Hear my mom, my sister and E also on the stairwell but a little further down.
7:03 pm: Introduced my Valentine to my mother and my sister (ha!), E smiled and said "oh its YOU!" with a huge smile and proceeded to give him a piece of his coveted wonka bar.
7:05 pm: I loose my purse in the excitement
7:10 pm: We leave, head to vinetopia for dinner reservations.

(Bet he didnt think that he would be meeting my family this soon, eh? But the look on his face when I pointed towards my mom's car and told him that my family was right there didnt make me think that it bothered him in the slightest... silly boy... little did he know that that just opened the door for his dissection later)

7:25 pm: Arrive at the restaurant
7:29 pm: Find out that they are not serving food as usual but only a "valentines special" which is $75 per person
7:32 pm: After I managed to stop choking on my gum (we were at a movie theatre restaurant after all) we decide to keep our reservation and be seated.
7:36 pm: K and J arrive
7:40 pm: Is that noise intentional? Oh yes, they have an obnoxious bongo band which consists of a piano, a guitar and, you guessed it, a set of bongo drums.
7:45 pm: Put our order in and proceed to wait for our 5 course meal to begin.
7:50 pm: Obnoxious bongo band finally decides to go on a break.
8:01 pm: Course One: Pinot Noir Sorbet - a delightful frozen treat with a silky smooth texture and a delightful Pinot flavor, but... probably more suited for a dessert than an opening course.
8:05 pm: Obnoxious bongo band is back.
8:15 pm: Course Two: Butternut Squash Soup - Absolutely delicious! I would have been happy with a big bowl of this soup, some bread and my wine for my entire dinner. It was very smooth, very rich and had a slightly spicy undertone. Did I mention that it came in what appeared to be an espresso cup? A standard for the evening has been set at this point.
8:16 pm: Seriously considering walking over to the obnoxious bongo band and asking them to keep it down a bit.
8:26 pm: Course Three: Salad - not good.
8:32 pm: Man-hands?
8:38 pm: Course Four: The Main Dish - Filet Mignon with Napoleon Potatoes and Summer Squash. I finished my plate! Well, aside from the potatoes. Not Good.
9:00 pm: Obnoxious bongo band packs it up for the night. (thank god, and no, I had nothing to do with it)
9:05 pm: Course Five: Cheesecake, Poached Pears and Chocolate Pudding with Sliced Strawberries. Hmm..

(not to say that I didnt enjoy the food, but for what they were making it out to be I was expecting 5 star restaurant quality food. Because of this I don't think that I will ever eat there again, even at normal prices.)

9:30 pm: Time to watch Slumdog Millionaire, just the two of us. A great movie which I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to watch a movie that allows you to walk away better than you were before. Very touching, very moving and an all around good movie.
11:55 pm: Run out to the car in the freezing cold where we proceed to go home for the evening.

Best Valentines that I can remember. Thank you...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I thought thier meals were costly to start with for what they were! I would be like "Forget this, lets go to Denny's!"

Lol that is what I don't like Valentines day! It's a holiday for greed and inflation! lol

Anonymous said...

But I'm really glad you had a good time!

And can't believe he met your mom!

(L)