Friday, March 14, 2008

My First Date since becoming a Singleton.

So I had a date on Wednesday but for some reason I was just not all that excited about it. I was actually quite sad. Sad! Sad I had a date??? Sad that I was going to have company? Someone that wanted to spend time with me? Someone that was going to sit down with me in the bar that I have been trying to get my last two boyfriends over the past 3 years to take me to?? Funny that that was the first time that I actually went there with a guy on a date. And the date…. Well….
I will say that the conversation was quite great.
I didn’t mind talking to him at all, in fact I actually lost track of time and ended up pissing off my brother in law off to the point to where I no longer have the use of them during the week anymore (ooooww, that man drives me crazy sometimes but whatever. I am not the one married to him).
Anyways.
I got there at around 8:05pm and as I was walking towards the place I could see him standing outside waiting for me. He really didn’t look like I remembered, but I was going to go inside with him anyways. As we were circling the place, hunting for a table to sit at, there was actually this guy at the bar that looked at me and smiled, he was quite attractive, but he stopped smiling at me as soon as he saw that I was with someone and I was too nice to ditch my date and sit down next to him (what do they say about the nice guys finishing last? Does it count for girls too?? I was told that I was the “nicest girl in the world” this weekend so now maybe I should be scared… haha)
So we end up sitting upstairs, at the very uncomfortable, talker unfriendly table and proceeded to wait for the waitress. He had just came from work, but is it really that difficult to maybe change into something nice-r, and maybe clean up a bit before you come and meet me? I know I made sure I was looking nice; I spent a good while trying to come up with something that wasn’t too nice, wasn’t too casual, wasn’t too presumptuous, wouldn’t give the wrong impression, etc. IE the perfect first date at a bar outfit. I guess that was too much to ask from him.
The waitress gets there, I order the classic “Black Cherry Walking Man Stout”, he orders some light beer that I didn’t particularly care for and we start talking.
Like I said, the conversation was great. I actually felt as if I came away from the conversation with knowledge that I didn’t have before. It was Ever-So-Refreshing to not talk about the same old crap that I always end up talking about! I like to be intellectually engaged!
We order some food and another round of drinks. I wanted to try something different and opted for an interesting sounding drink that was imported from Belgium. Ya….. it tasted like pine needles and something foul. I drank it only because it some how ended up being one of the most expensive beers on the menu. Even came in a cognac glass, which was the best part about it. Hehe.
Next thing we know, its after 11pm and really, I should be going. He asked if I wanted to go somewhere else, maybe down to a jazz bar around the corner, or wherever I wanted to go.
I had to go.
So he walks me back to my car.
He put his arm around me on the way and it didn’t feel right.
5 minutes later we get to my car and the awkwardness begins…
Since he did pay for everything I decided that I would give him a friendly hug but that was it. I give him the hug, say thank you, thank you with the idea that he would leave but he was still standing there… very obviously waiting for a kiss. Well, we all know that if I don’t want to do something, I will not do it. And this was one of those situations. So I smiled, I opened my door, said, “Alright, I’m leaving” and got in. I don’t know how much more obvious that I could have been but he stood there till I started it up and drove away.
I got the “just making sure you made it home ok” message
Followed by the “if you get bored on your day of relaxation send me a text or an email” message.
I did respond and say that I was home, so tired.. etc.
But that was it.
I am not going to waste either of our time. When he asked me a couple of days later if I had plans for the weekend I didn’t answer. Maybe that was mean, maybe I should have just told him that I didn’t like him that way. But I am not going to give him the line “we can just be friends” even though I really wouldn’t mind it because he is a nice guy, because I really hate to be cliché.

No comments: