Saturday, March 29, 2008

A Great Quote

Sometimes I feel like when doing school work for a particular class I am just doing what I need to to get the A and then forgetting that information forever (or in more technical terms, the information is only retained in the short term and is not encoded into my long term memory). Today, however, while doing an ethical comparison between Islam and Buddhism I came across a very thought provoking quote from the Dhammapada:

61. If a traveler does not meet with one who is his better, or his equal, let him firmly keep to his solitary journey; there is no companionship with a fool.


In my opinion there is no better advice than this. I’d rather be alone than with the wrong person; with a fool. Not only would that then put a person at risk for going down to their level but it could potentially cause you to miss out on connections with people who are more equal to you due to the fact that they would associate you with the fool. Birds of a feather…

No comments: