Sunday, January 18, 2009

Prohibited Items at the 2009 Inauguration

The thought actually crossed my mind to see if my attending Obama's inauguration would be a possibility. Yes, I despise crowds and hate it when people are in my space. Yes, I know the temperatures are projected to be below freezing, but if flights were open I would seriously consider making the flight over.
I check flights for Tuesday, the day of the event. Wide Open. Its as if I would be flying into a remote destination in Montana. Ok hmm. My interest is piqued.
So I go to google to see what time the event actually happens (this was the link I found)
Since the 20th amendment states that the term of the presidency expires at noon on the twentieth, that is when the swearing in will be happening.
This was when I noticed the list of prohibited items which was listed directly below this information...

Prohibited Items

Prohibited items include, but are not limited to:

  • Firearms and ammunition (either real or simulated)
  • Explosives of any kind (including fireworks)
  • Knives, blades, or sharp objects (of any length)
  • Mace and/or pepper spray
  • Sticks or poles
  • Pocket or hand tools, such as “Leatherman”
  • Packages
  • Backpacks
  • Large bags
  • Duffel bags
  • Suitcases
  • Thermoses
  • Coolers
  • Strollers
  • Umbrellas
  • Laser pointers
  • Signs
  • Posters
  • Animals (other than service animals)
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Other items that may pose a threat to the security of the event as determined by and at the discretion of the security screeners
I had no idea that it would be easier to get on the plane to get to the event (with all the excessive screening issues faced there), than to be one of the millions of people situated in a crowd, probably so far away you couldnt even see what is going on. I can understand a majority of the items, but no bags? No backpacks? It says to expect to be standing/waiting for at least 3 hours and you are not allowed to bring anything with you? Its supposed to be almost freezing but you are not allowed to bring a thermose with something to keep you warm from the inside? No strollers for children? Umbrellas? Pray it doesnt rain. Or do the no-rain dance before heading over.

What's next? In four years is clothing going to be banned? Who knows what a person could be holding in their jacket, or in the back of those fitted jeans. And in the million man crowd, I think that my space issues may pose to be a true problem if everyone is forced to stand around in their skivvies. Or better yet, nothing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's hot