Friday, January 16, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is not Curious at all. Believe me.

In fact it is one of the most unexciting, least interesting, and all around boring movies that I have seen in a long time. I would say even worse than alot of the television that I have been being forced to watch lately. Titles such as "Caught on Tape Three Hundred and Seventy-Two", "American Idol season we-are-still-making-these-shows?" and "Survivor: United States" are likely to be more interesting than aforementioned movie.

It was hard to get into this movie from the beginning, and I must admit, I really was not paying attention for the first ten minutes or so. Cut to a scene of a woman who just gave birth to a unseen baby, with doctors giving her but minutes to live and my attention was slightly piqued. For a few minutes anyways. The new father promises his dying wife that their child will always have a place.... until he actually sees the baby that is. His new child's face was so grotesque that he runs out of the house, contemplates throwing the baby in the river and decides instead to leave it on the doorstep of a strangers home, wrapped in a blanket, with $17 stuffed inside. So much for promises, eh?
The movie is set in Louisiana. It is told in narrative fashion, by means of a younger woman reading a journal to a dying old woman in a hospital bed. A hurricane looms in the distance, but they do not want to flee, they decide that they would rather read a mans journal while sirens ring right outside the window. The film goes from the young woman's voice, to Benjamin Button's voice; from one world to the next, and the viewer gets the feeling like the story being read is one from a distant past. This man is different, he is aging backwards, a young man trapped in an old man's body; lost in a world where no one understands. Cut back to the hospital bed, the old woman is uncomfortable, give her some more meds and get back to the story.
This goes on for a staggering Three Hours. Three hours! Why does no one advertise this? Its almost as bad as advertising a musical film as a non musical film and wondering why the audience decides to walk out mid film. Had I not have been in the presence of very good company I would have voiced my desire to walk out of the theater myself last night. But I was enjoying said company so I endured the pain of what was supposedly an acclaimed film in order to stay where I was for just a little longer...

In short: Don't waste your time on this movie unless you bring something to do, like say a book or a magazine or a pillow...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Three hours?! And I thought Dark Knight was a long movie (albeit wonderful).

The real question is: how many times did you have to pee? :-)

And I am not a fan of narrative, especially if it's recalled by someone... especially if it hints on what might happen later, whether or not that is the case with this movie.

Rebecca said...

Long movies are hit or miss. During the many times that I have watched The Dark Knight I have never looked at the clock and wondered when it was going to be over... thought, wow, well we know that we have a good half hour left AT LEAST til its done... A good movie keeps the viewer entertained to the point that the time flies by like a stealthy jet.
The problem with Button is that time flies by like a noisy parade at 6am..

krishna kashyap av said...

I liked the movie a lot.
It was totally a peculiar
movie.
Work from home India