Wednesday, October 14, 2009

And I said I would not analyze it: Hi Panda

Hi Panda by Ji Ji
On first glance, what impression did these panda bears give you?
Cute?
Cuddly?
Evil?
Disturbing?
Those were Pandas?
Believe it or not, I actually find these bears quite lovable. Maybe it is because the artist intended for these figures to represent children born in the 80's, of which I am included, and all my life I have been dealing with each of the said emotions the bears are depicting.
Maybe it is because the media has desensitized me to the point that "evil bears" seem so far out there that I see them as anything but evil.
Maybe the little diapers they are wearing make me instinctively think "baby" and since, in order to ensure the survival of the human race, we are wired to feel empathetic towards babies I feel nothing but love for them. And an evil baby is simply unheard of.
Maybe it is because on a subconscious level I really do see them as disturbing, I am thus feeling sorry for them and only see them as lovable because in my heart I really want to help them.
Or maybe it is because I simply am crazy. Who knows.
All I know is that I have Angry Panda glaring at me from his cozy little perch atop my mantle across the room.
I need no definitive reason why.
My smile is enough.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I thought that toy was Ethans!

Rebecca said...

It is not a toy, its Art!!