Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Portlandite Is Moving To.......Georgia??


Wow, oh wow.
You know how they say that a good opportunity never just falls into your lap? Well in this one instance it sure does seem like that is exactly what happened.
While I did put effort in after the fact, I did not seek this out.
Back in August a series of events was unleashed when my current company decided to consolidate my department with our sister companies and was going to move us all to Seattle.
Long story short, a contact at a different company got a hold of me after he heard the news and asked if I was open to hearing about a job from their company. I thought about it and decided that wouldn't hurt to see what they had to offer..
8 months later an official offer has been made and it was too good to pass up.

I think that situations such as this go to show that in this current job market it is more about your connections and your reputation in the industry than anything. While I did need my degree to be seriously considered, I think it would have been highly likely for me to have been overlooked if I didn't have people on the inside.

So now here I sit, in my townhouse in Washington State, hoping that the East Coast will be as good to me as the West Coast has been. You cannot grow without change and without risk there generally is no reward.

Here is to new adventures! In Georgia!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The south is a great place. My half sister is Shannon Rivas. I live near by if you need any help or any advice. coach_colvin@yahoo.com