Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Oregon Gardens and Silver Falls

With everything that has been going on over the past month we decided that we really (and I mean really) needed some time away. So when we got the opportunity to go down to Silverton (in Oregon) for the night we packed our bags and hit the road without a second thought (ok, so maybe there was a few second thoughts, especially since we are trying to save money right now, but this deal was too good to pass up!).

View of Lower South Falls at Silver Falls State Park, just outside of Silverton, OR

After some minor traffic on the way down (and a stop at a Burger King ONLY for someone to use the bathroom), we were on our way up the hillside to the Oregon Garden Resort. The package that we reserved with them included dinner for two in their garden view resturant, a bottle of wine, free entrance to the Oregon Gardens, a breakfast buffet in the morning and a room in their 3 year old hotel. It included all this for only $79! This sounds a little too good to be true to me too, so we were rather skeptical before we got there that A) The room would be horrible, B) Dinner would be subpar and/or C) We wouldn't be getting a whole bottle of wine.
Come to find out it was much better than expected.
Its funny what $80 can get you in small towns that people don't really know about. Our $80 got us a room nicer and more comfortable than a $150 room in Waikiki. We walked into our king room and found vaulted ceilings, a gas fireplace, new (and quite cute) furnishings, nice tile work in the bathroom and the entryway and a nice television. It was great. We went from there to dinner and was informed that we would be able to order anything off the menu and had a selection of 4 different wines to choose from. He ordered the salmon and I had a cheese pasta dish; our dinner came to over $70 and all we had to pay for was the tip! After dinner we explored the gardens (which, honestly, were a little lacking.. maybe its just me, but I see daisies, mums and carnations everywhere! I find the Portland Rose Gardens to be much more interesting) and then called it a night.
We were up at 9am, had breakfast and headed over to Silver Falls State Park, maybe 15 minutes away. I had never been to this park, but I have a friend that used to live in the area and I remember her mentioning this area and I have always wanted to explore the area. After getting there, we looked at the map and decided to give the 7 mile loop a go (even though it said it was supposed to take 5 hours). Waterfall, after waterfall, I found myself feeling quite blessed for getting to grow up in this part of the country. It was gorgeous!
There were huckleberries EVERYWHERE and even though we didn't come fully prepared for this long of a hike, I was able to stave off my hunger with hand fulls of these little berries (that's right, I was getting hand fulls at a time!).
I don't know what they used as a base for the 5 hour time frame, but we were done in a little over 3 hours and after getting a little discombobulated when we got back to the south falls parking lots (and consequently added another mile or so to the 7 mile loop) we were back in the car and headed back to reality.

Its nice to know even with everything that is going on, I know that in the end I really don't have anything to worry about. Job, no job, crappy job, great job... when it comes down to it I have love and support and that will get me through any hard times I may have :)

No comments: